Student Services

Student portal

Log in

Student Handbook

How we can help you

Travel arrangement

Entry into Australia; Arrive in Australia; Family

External support services

Referral to external support services

Technical support

Computer and technology support

Online support

Online support and exercises for some courses subject to availability

Job placement assistance

For those participating in courses that require practical placement

Supervised study groups

Supervised study groups

Extra-curricular study

Providing access to supplementary or modified materials, and Providing supplementary exercises to assist understanding

Submission extension consideration

Providing extra time to complete tasks

Academic support

Review of learning materials with students and providing information in a context they can understand


Mentoring from appropriately qualified trainers including their phone and email contact details

Opening an Australian bank account

If you want to open an Australian bank account, we suggest you research different options. We can't suggest any specific bank or bank product, but here is some useful information for you to help decide:

There are four major banks in Australia:

There are other (smaller) banks in Australia that you can research also.

Helpful articles:

Opening an Australian bank account


It can be difficult finding rental accommodation in Australia these days, especially in urban areas. So, here's some information that will hopefully make it easier for you to find a place that ou're happy with.

Rental culture

It is common for friends or even strangers to live in the same accommodation. This can be a great way for you to meet new people and imrpove your English. Just make sure you use common sense when choosing who to live with, for example:

  • Do you think you share a similar personality to the person/people you might live with? For example, if you are a neat person, are they neat also? If you are a quiet person, will it bother you if they have parties until 2am?
Types of rental properties


SIM card

There are three network providers in Australia:

  • Telstra (Australia's largest network provider)
  • Optus
  • Vodafone

Other providers such as Belong, ALDImobile, Yomojo, and many more, operate under these three networks.

We can't suggest a particular network to you, but we suggest you use comparison websites such as Canstar Blue. Compare Mobile Plans, WhistleOut, or do a Google search.

TIP: Look for providers who offer student deals. These deals are designed for students like you.

SIM card


Travel costs

Costs of traveling to Australia are not included in your course fees and you will need to arrange and pay for your travel to Australia. You should plan to arrive in Melbourne at least 2 weeks before your course orientation in order to give you time to settle in.

Bring enough money at least for the short-term

The amount you will need to bring with you will depend on whether you have already paid for your accommodation before you arrive. Think about how much money you will need to last you for a couple of weeks.

Currency exchange

The currency of Australia is the Australian Dollar. Ideally, you should change your money into Australian dollars before you arrive but if you haven’t you will need to change some money once you land in Australia. There are money exchange facilities within the airport for you to use.

Once you have arrived into Melbourne you can also change more money into Australian dollars at any bank or currency exchange facility. Note, that opens on Saturday for limited services and regular transactions

Be safe

You should not carry large sums of money with you and it is best to only have the money that you will need for the first few days and then arrange to have the rest of the funds transferred to you in Australia.

More information

Find out more about money matters by visiting the Study Australia website.


Bringing your family

If you intend to bring your family with you, they will also need to have a visa and be covered by health insurance. Family members include your partner (married or de facto) and your children under 18 years of age. You will need to provide proof of your family relationships with official documents including birth certificates and marriage certificates. For more details, visit

Where you have dependent children that need to attend childcare or school, you should be aware of the following potential costs:

Typical approximate childcare costs in Melbourne are as follows:

  • Centre-based childcare AUD$80 to AUD$120 per day
  • Family day care AUD$6 to AUD$10 per hour offered by Councils
  • Nannies AUD$20 to AUD$30 per hour
  • Au pairs (living in your home) AUD$200 to AUD$250 per week

Find out more on the Live in Melbourne website.


For children who are aged 4-5 please check the information about kindergartens on the Live in Melbourne website.

If you have children who are school age (ages 6-17), please find out about school types, costs and application processes on the following sites:

Primary Schools

Live in Melbourne: Primary schools

High Schools

Live in Melbourne: High schools

You should also be aware that the above costs for childcare and schooling are in addition to any day-to-day living costs in Australia. Please refer to the section in the handbook titled Living Costs in Australia for additional information.

Bringing your family

Travelling to Australia

Let people know about your trip

Before you leave home, you should provide your family and friends, Educational Agents and Course Provider in Australia, with details of your flights to Australia and where you will be staying when you arrive. (Do not change these details without informing them). Once you have arrived in Australia, you should then let your family and friends know that you have arrived safely. For safety reasons, always inform your family members where you are.


Melbourne Airport, VIC

Sydney Airport, NSW

Customs and Immigration

When you arrive in Australia, you will need to show your passport and incoming passenger card at a Customs and Immigration checkpoint. You may be asked questions about your stay before your passport is stamped and handed back to you.

Luggage collection

Once you have passed through the Immigration checkpoint, you should collect your bags ensuring that you check your baggage and check that nothing is missing or damaged. If something is missing or you notice damage, go to the baggage counter and advise them of your problem. Staff at the “Lost Property” counter within the airport will help you find missing baggage or lodge a claim for damage to your belongings.


Once you have your luggage you will go through customs where your luggage may be checked. Australia has strict quarantine laws to stop people from bringing in certain food and plant items. You should declare any items that you are bringing in on the form given to you on the airplane. If customs officers decide that the item you are bringing in are not safe, they will be confiscated and destroyed. If you fail to declare or dispose of any quarantine items, or make a false declaration, you may receive a fine or be prosecuted. All international mail is also screened and checked by customs.

For further information, visit and select the Passports and Travel option.

Airport transport
Travelling to Australia


Prior to commencing your studies, you will be required to participate in a compulsory orientation program that will include information on:

  • details of internal and external support services available to assist in the transition into life and study in Australia, including access to welfare services, accommodation services, academic and career advice, IT support, student learning assistance, English language support and social inclusion activities
  • legal, emergency and health services
  • facilities and resources
  • organisational policies and procedures including course progress, attendance monitoring, deferral, suspension and cancellation, course transfer and complaints and appeals
  • any student visa conditions relating to course progress and attendance

The enrolment form you complete will also help us to identify any support you need and depending on the course you are enrolling in and your support needs can also be discussed during the orientation.

Provider details
CRICOS Provider number: 03611D
RTO Code: 45174
Acknowledgement of Country
ZOI Education acknowledges, recognises and respects the Ancestors, Elders and families of the Wurundjeri people, who are the traditional owners of the land on which our campus stands.